In November, floods and landslides killed at least one person and cut all rail access to Canada’s largest port in the city of Vancouver, a spokesperson for the port said at the time. That weather event plus new rains are causing the port to experience big delays, officials say. The Vancouver Port Authority says Vancouver is Canada’s largest port and the third largest in North America by tonnes of cargo. A spokesperson for the Port of Vancouver says the weather events significantly disrupted rail and truck movement due to widespread flooding throughout the Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley regions. Mudslides, cars trapped between debris flows with hundreds of people trapped and later rescued and widespread flooding of highways throughout southwestern B.C. caused all main highway routes to the Metro Vancouver area to be closed all happened at once in mid-November. The city continues recovery.
Five people were killed and more than 40 injured when an SUV plowed into a parade and spectators in Waukesha, Wisc. on Sunday, November 21, 2021. There was no immediate known connection to international or domestic terrorism, local officials said. They are also saying there does not appear to be any connection to the recent Kyle Rittenhouse trial verdict that was announced last week in Kenosha, Wisc. The incident occurred while townspeople were watching an annual parade. The police chief, Daniel P. Thompson, said his team is working with the Waukesha County Medical Examiner’s Office to identify victims. He also said there is “a person of interest in custody.” Some of the dead included members of a dance group performing in the parade. A post on the Facebook page of the Dancing Grannies said this: “Our group was doing what they loved, performing in front of crowds in a parade putting smiles on faces of all ages, filling them with joy and happiness. While performing the grannies enjoyed hearing the crowds cheers and applause which certainly brought smiles to their faces and warmed their hearts. Those who died were extremely passionate Grannies. Their eyes gleamed…..joy of being a Grannie. They were the glue….held us together. Our hearts are heavy at this most difficult time, as more information and updates become available it will be posted. Please keep them their families, friends, the Milwaukee Dancing Grannies and everyone who lives have forever changed in your thoughts and prayers.” The Waukesha Police department stated, “The scene is still fluid, and the investigation is ongoing. The community mourns the loss of our community members and those injured.” Darrell E. B rooks Jr., 39, was later identified as the only suspect and is believed to have acted alone.
For more than a year, travel was restricted along the The Singhu Border on Delhi-Chandigarh highway. But, on Wednesday 15 December Delhi Police allowed traffic to pass and opened two lanes at Singhu border. The police dismantled all the barricades that were erected to prevent protesting farmers from moving towards the nation’s capital. “It has been decided that Singhu border be opened from Delhi side also. It has been opened for all vehicles,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (outer north) Brijesh Yadav said. The Singhu Border on Delhi-Chandigarh highway had been the center of a farmers’ protest against the three central farm laws. Farmers began leaving the protest site on the Delhi-Haryana border on Saturday after the Samyukt Kisan Morcha (SKM) suspended the agitation following the repeal of the farm laws and the government conceding to its other demands. “Only one part of the road was opened. The traffic was opened only for smaller vehicles such as bikes as the road needs to be repaired at many parts which has been damaged due to the protest. It is high time the authorities repair the stretch soon and open the traffic properly,” Jitin Dabas, a resident of Singhu village said in a local news report. Local commuter, Ashwani Tiwari said it was a welcome move for those travelling to Haryana and Punjab.
The Coast Guard Cutter Reef Shark transferred custody of two smugglers and offloaded approximately 250 kilograms of cocaine at Coast Guard Base San Juan, following Coast Guard Cutter Kathleen Moore’s interdiction of a go-fast smuggling vessel in the Caribbean Sea. The apprehended smugglers are Dominican Republic nationals, who were charged with possession with intent to distribute cocaine aboard a vessel subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. The cocaine seized has an estimated wholesale value of approximately $7.5 million. U.S. Coast Guard Special Assistant United States Attorney Jordan H. Martin is in charge of the prosecution of this case. The interdiction resulted from multi-agency efforts in support of U.S. Southern Command’s enhanced counter-narcotics operations in the Western Hemisphere and coordination with the Caribbean Corridor Strike Force (CCSF). During a routine patrol, a U.S. Maritime Enforcement Aircraft (MEA) detected a suspect go-fast vessel, approximately 145 nautical miles south of the Dominican Republic. Coast Guard watchstanders in Sector San Juan diverted the cutter Kathleen Moore to carry out the interdiction. With the assistance of the cutter’s small boat, the crew of the Kathleen Moore interdicted the 25-foot vessel that was carrying two men and 10 bales of suspected contraband onboard, which tested positive for cocaine.
An engineer in the U.S. Navy and his wife were charged with attempting to share secrets on submarine technology with another country. Court documents show that Jonathan Toebbe has been accused of trying to sell information on the nuclear propulsion system of Virginia-class attack submarines. Toebbe had clearances in nuclear engineering. He was a member of the Navy Reserve and worked for a year or more in the top officer in the Navy’s office. Russia and China would be interested in details of U.S. submarine propulsion, however, some reports say the unsolicited offer might have been a more friendly country than either of those two.
244 migrants were rescued by the Italian Coast Guard during the night of Sunday, November 28, 2021 off the coast of Calabria in the southern Italy. There were 41 minors, including an infant born the previous day on a packed fishing boat that encountered difficult sea conditions. Bad weather made the rescue operation complex. The Italian Coast Guard carried out the rescue which took time. After spending more than 16 hours at sea, all 244 migrants were rescued by the Italian Coast Guard with help from a Romanian naval unit. U.N. officials estimate that 1,600 people have died or gone missing in the Mediterranean Sea in 2021 so far. It is a major gateway for migrants trying to enter Europe with the help of human smugglers.
Transport for London (TfL) has announced that the Night Tube will be returning in time for the busy Christmas period after being suspended since March 2020 due to the pandemic. Services on the Central and Victoria lines will run throughout the night on Fridays and Saturdays from Saturday 27 November, providing more options for customers who need to travel at night either for leisure or for work, while also making journey times shorter and offering safer routes home for women, girls and all Londoners. TfL continues to run as many services as possible whilst seeking to secure the long-term, sustainable Government funding needed to go on supporting London’s recovery. The Central and Victoria lines were previously two of the busiest lines on the Night Tube network and provide crucial links between large parts of London and the center of the city. Restoring night running on these lines will help businesses like bars, clubs and restaurants as London’s night-time economy continues to recover following the pandemic. It will also provide a safe, quick travel option for Londoners and visitors looking to make the most of all the capital has to offer in the evenings, and those who need to travel to or from work at night. The Night Tube offers a safe, low crime environment. More than 2,500 police and police community support officers and 500 TfL enforcement officers patrol London’s transport network, while thousands of frontline transport staff support customers and an extensive CCTV network is in place across the Tube. TfL operates one of the most extensive night bus networks in the world and it continues to ensure everyone can travel around the capital whatever the hour. Well over a hundred routes currently run through the night, while licensed and regulated taxis and private hire vehicles provide door to door transport at all times of the day. The Tube continues to operate between approximately 05:30 and 00:30 through central London from Monday to Saturday, and TfL has started running some trains earlier on Sunday mornings to help customers travel at those times. The Mayor’s Women’s Night Safety Charter also sets out guidance for venues, operators, charities, councils and businesses to improve safety at night for women — including better training of staff, encouraging the reporting of harassment and ensuring public spaces are safe. Over 600 organizations are now signed up, with more joining all the time.
Seventeen people were injured — one of those stabbed — when a man dressed as the character “The Joker” from the movie Batman, entered a train and began lashing out with a knife the night of October 31. It happened on the Keio Line train in Tokyo. A 70-year-old man was reported in critical condition after he was stabbed in the chest. The perpetrator also sprayed lighter fluid around the train car and lit it on fire. Some passengers pulled the emergency stop and escaped through the windows. A 24-year-old man self-identified as Kyota Hattori was arrested at the scene. He told authorities, “He wanted to kill people and be given the death penalty,” according to the Tokyo Police. He is shown here calmly smoking a cigarette after the attack, before the authorities arrived.
An explosion caused by an old aircraft bomb injured three people in Munich. The explosion occurred just outside Donnersbergerbruecke station where construction is ongoing. Witnesses reported that there was a loud explosion near the Donnersberger Bridge, then they saw a column of smoke. “At this time there is no evidence of criminal offenses. According to initial findings, we have three injured people, the danger area is largely cordoned off and train traffic is blocked on the main route,” said a Munich police press officer. “There is no danger outside the immediate area,” the local police asserted. Finding old aircraft bombs dating back to World War II has happened before on several occasions.
A man was arrested in the Vientiane capital for stealing railway construction components along the Laos-China Railway. According to a report posted on the Lao Youth Radio Facebook page, approximately 147 steel joints and 39 rail bolts used in the construction of the Lao-China railway had been reported stolen in Dongphosy Village, Hadxaifong District, Vientiane Capital. The suspect, identified as 22-year-old Mr. Armee, from Thong Meuat Village, Kasi District, Vientiane Province, was arrested on Friday, September 24 for having stolen the parts. The parts were found at the man’s residence in Dongphosy. He had been found selling them to scrapyards. According to the laws of the country, those who engage in activities deliberately posing a danger to the safety of aircraft, ships, trains, vehicles, airports, ports, train stations or bus stations are subject to heavy fines and up to twenty years imprisonment. Authorities are warning scrap dealers and residents in the area to watch out for their customers and to report property suspected of being stolen from any project.